The North Sea Hydrogen Valley Ports project has been approved by the North Sea INTERREG Monitoring Committee. The project was approved on 25 October and is due to start on 1 January 2024. The aim of the project is to deliver four Hydrogen Valley Port Master Plans in Bremen, Brest, den Helder and Esbjerg. The Master Plans will link hydrogen production to end-users and it will also consider maritime activities such as hydrogen vessel design and bunkering.
The Lead Partner in the project is the New Energy Coalition and partners include Port of Esbjerg; Port of Brest; Free Hanseatic City of Bremen; Institute of Shipping Economics and Logistics, Bremen; Ballard Power Systems; University of Caen, Normandy; Development Agency Noord-Holland Noord; and Laholm Municipality.
The project has five Work Packages:
- Green Hydrogen Production, Storage & Infrastructure
- Development and Implementation of Hydrogen Valley Port Master Plans
- Development of Hydrogen Vessels for port or short sea shipping
- Bunkering and its Infrastructure
- Broadening the Hydrogen Valley Port Network